Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mother always made this homemade spaghetti sauce. It is VERY different from anything in a jar. The flavor is smoky, due to the bacon. Depending on your tastes, you may want to reduce some of the bacon. It is a great fall/winter sauce and lends an interesting flavor to lasagna and baked ziti.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter (sometimes I omit this)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices finely chopped bacon
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces red wine (chianti works best)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce or 2 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 medium finely chopped carrots
- pasta, of choice
- 1⁄2 cup pasta water
- Heat olive oil over low heat in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients. Add butter and simmer until melted.
- Add onions and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add ground beef and bacon. Sauté until browned.
- Drain fat from bacon and beef. (The actual recipe says to leave the fat in, but I don't like all the extra oil and fat).
- Add garlic, parsley, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add wine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add tomatoes or tomato sauce, paste, and 1/2 water.
- Bring mixture to boiling point.
- Add the chopped carrot.
- Cover and cook over very low heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Sometimes my mother let it sit over low heat all afternoon.
- About 20 minutes before the sauce is ready, begin cooking pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of pasta water to the sauce and cook just a few minutes over low heat.
- Serve sauce over pasta.
All spaghetti sauce taste about the same.But not this one. It is soooo good and different.It will amaze you.I did use 2cans 8 oz tomato sauce & 1 can tomatoes, and added 1 small green pepper.Did not add the pasta water, did not feel it needed it.I cooked it in my crock pot.This would be great in lasagna. Thank you redjonesy. I will kept this one forever.