Recipe by NOOBchef
This Vietnamese dessert is sweet, warming and a bit gooey ! Its very nice and simple, flavorful too. Got this recipe when I went on a cooking course in Hanoi and this was the dessert of the four dishes I made.
Top Review by Elmotoo
After reading the other review, I cut the sugar in half. It was perfect! Not having arrowrot, I used cornstarch. I should have known to dissolve it in a bit of cold water first, lol. Everybody liked this!! I minced the ginger. There were "little sparkly bites" all through it as dh said. I wonder if the recipe says to add sliced ginger so it can be removed later? Even THE PICKY ONE liked this. With just 1/2c sugar! And I wish it had gotten smoother. Made for the Chinese/Vietnamese New Year Tag.
- 500 g sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 -5 slices fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups water
- arrow starch
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water to the boil, and put in the sweet potato.
- When the water returns to the boil, add the ginger, and continue cooking until the potato is tender and cooked through.
- Add sugar and a little arrow starch, and allow it to dissolve completely. Then remove from the heat. Serve hot.
- P.S. If you're going to Hanoi, I really recommend this course ! http://www.hanoi-cooking.com/tip.html.