Recipe by NOOBchef
This is an impressive-looking rice dish with great flavors. Got this recipe when I went on a cooking course in Hanoi and this was one of four dishes I made. Some of the ingredients are a bit out-of-the-ordinary but I promise you, its worth it !
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 shrimp, shelled and boiled
- 3⁄4 cup cooked white rice (adjust according to size of your bowl)
- 1 sprig fresh coriander
- 2 shrimp, shelled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup medium white onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup fragrant mushroom, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet baby corn
- 1⁄4 cup peas
- 1⁄4 cup dry black mushrooms, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup spring onion, finely diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Mix all the layer ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, then stir fry them for five minutes in the hot oil, or until fragrant. Then take them off the heat.
- Lightly oil a small to medium bowl - it has to fit everything in tightly , so judge for yourself what size to use !
- Place the boiled shrimp on the bottom of a small to medium bowl. Make sure it fits well into the base.
- Gently, press a layer of rice about 1 cm thick over it. Make sure it is even on top and has filled in all the gaps underneath it.
- Put a layer of the 'layer ingredients', slightly thinner than the rice , on top. Again , press down gently and make sure the top is even.
- Repeat with a layer of rice, a layer of 'layer ingredients' and a last layer of rice.
- Then, turn the bowl upside down in the middle of the serving plate and lightly tap. Leave for a minute, than carefully remove the bowl so that the mound of rice is left. Garnish with coriander and serve with soy sauce.
- P.S. If you're going to Hanoi, I really recommend this course ! http://www.hanoi-cooking.com/tip.html.