Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Memorial Day is almost here & soon after July 4th. It’s time to share dessert options inspired by the red, white & blue of “Old Glory”. I love using tortillas creatively & am posting 2 related ideas today. I was very detailed w/the prep instructions, but this is very easy to do & worth the time & care taken to make “Old Glory #2” the patriotic star attraction of your holiday get-together for family or friends! (Time does not include refrigeration time)
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 3 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese (softened & divided per step #1 below)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar (divided per prep instructions)
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves (dark & thick as possible)
- 3 tablespoons blueberry preserves (dark & thick as possible)
- 1 banana (divided per prep instructions)
- Mix the 3 3-oz pkgs of cream cheese w/3 tbsp powdered sugar till well-combined & smooth. Divide mixture into 3 equal portions in separate bowls.
- Add 3 tbsp strawberry preserves to the 1st bowl & mix well. Add 3 tbsp blueberry preserves to the 2nd bowl & mix well. Cut 1/3 of the banana into sml pieces, add to the 3rd bowl & mash into cream cheese mixture till fully incorporated & smooth.
- “Eyeball” the strawberry & blueberry mixtures for desired color. If a darker color is desired, add food coloring 1 drop at a time till you’re happy w/the color. Set all 3 bowls aside.
- In a somewhat larger bowl, mix the 8-oz pkg of cream cheese w/3 tbsp powdered sugar till well-combined & smooth. Cut the remaining 2/3 of the banana in sml pieces, add & mash into cream cheese mixture till fully incorporated & smooth. Set this bowl aside for use toward the end.
- Assembly: Put 1 tortilla on your work surface & spread the strawberry & cream cheese mixture over the tortilla. Place a 2nd tortilla on top of the 1st & spread the sml banana & cream cheese mixture over the tortilla. Place a 3rd tortilla on top of the 2nd & spread the blueberry mixture over the tortilla. Put the last tortilla on top, cover w/plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 1 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator. Using the contents of the larger bowl mixture of cream cheese, sugar & banana, now “frost” the tortilla stack as you would a cake (top & sides). Cover w/plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 1 hr or put in your freezer for at least 30 minute This will firm up the cream cheese & better allow for easy slicing.
- Remove from refrigerator or freezer. Using a very sharp knife, carefully cut into 8 wedges as you would a pie, but leave the wedges in place. Garnish the top portion of the cut wedges w/fresh strawberry segments & fresh blueberries as desired &/or sprinkle with ¼ cup crushed red & blue M&M’s to please the kids.
- Cover & refrigerate till ready to serve surrounded by additional fresh fruit & a dish of cool whip on the side -- maybe even more of the M&M's.
- NOTE: Makes a 3-layer cake w/top to frost & garnish w/fresh fruit, but the layers are tortillas. You can add fruit to the layers (if adventurous) or repeat the layering process to 6 layers w/top. I've always felt the smaller serving w/fresh fruit was the best option.