Recipe by JackieOhNo!
When I first got married, my husband told me that his favorite cake was a simple yellow cake with chocolate icing. I wanted to make a birthday cake for him from scratch, and this was the result. He never would eat a box cake again! This is especially nice with a tall glass of milk.
Top Review by goldentoni
The cake turned out perfect in size. I even got both layers even which I rarely do with store-bought mix. It also had a great flavor but mine turned out a bit dry. I think I'm going to take it out of the oven a bit earlier next time.
- 236.59 ml vegetable shortening
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 354.88 ml sifted cake flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 118.29 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 85.04 g unsweetened chocolate
- 396.89 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 7.39 ml vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- To make cake, preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, beat shortening until light.
- Slowly beat in sugar.
- Add egg and egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add to batter in 3 parts, alternating with 3 parts milk.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into two buttered and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before icing.
- To make icing, in top of a double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate and stir in condensed milk. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in butter, one piece at a time, stirring after each addition. Stir in egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until smooth and thick. (If the icing becomes too thick, thin with a little hot water.).