1/2 Photos of Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake With Chocolate Icing
1 hr 10 mins
When I first got married, my husband told me that his favorite cake was a simple yellow cake with chocolate icing. I wanted to make a birthday cake for him from scratch, and this was the result. He never would eat a box cake again! This is especially nice with a tall glass of milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 1To make cake, preheat oven to 350°F
- 2In a large bowl, beat shortening until light.
- 3Slowly beat in sugar.
- 4Add egg and egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 5Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- 6Add to batter in 3 parts, alternating with 3 parts milk.
- 7Stir in vanilla.
- 8Beat egg whites until stiff.
- 9Fold into batter.
- 10Pour batter into two buttered and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- 11Bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12Cool on a wire rack before icing.
- 13To make icing, in top of a double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate and stir in condensed milk. Beat until smooth.
- 14Stir in butter, one piece at a time, stirring after each addition. Stir in egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until smooth and thick. (If the icing becomes too thick, thin with a little hot water.).
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake With Chocolate Icing
Serving Size: 1 (1558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6277.2
- Calories from Fat 3631
- Total Fat 403.4 g
- Saturated Fat 177.1 g
- Cholesterol 1246.0 mg
- Sodium 1749.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 614.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 419.5 g
- Protein 90.9 g