1/1 Photo of Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup
1 hr 30 mins
Literary Mom's Note:
Better than Campbell's but just as comforting! Loosely based on a gourmet cooking magazine's recipe for Beef Barley soup, I didn't have any barley or okra, so I added root veggies to make it more hearty, like a rich broth with the chunkyness of stew. It turned out to be the best soup I've ever made! DH, stepson and baby girl kept coming back for more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 onion
- 3 celery ribs
- 10 baby carrots (or a couple regular carrots)
- 2 potatoes (peeled if you like)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I use salt-free)
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth (or 2 14-oz cans)
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or any cooking oil)
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1Cut meat into small, bite-size (1/2") pieces.
- 2In a large pot or dutch oven, saute meat in 1 T oil on medium-high heat until all sides are brown.
- 3Set aside on a plate.
- 4Chop celery, onion, potatoes, and carrots into bite-size pieces.
- 5Saute celery and onion in remaining 1 T oil until onion is golden (about 10 minutes).
- 6Add browned beef, water, broth, tomatoes with juices, carrots, potatoes, corn, bay leaves and garlic.
- 7Bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until beef is almost tender, about an hour.
- 9Add peas and hot sauce to soup.
- 10Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- 11Serve and season with freshly ground black pepper, hot sauce, or crumbled saltines, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup
Serving Size: 1 (688 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.3
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 1040.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 34.8 g