Recipe by Mirj
These are just like the cookies we used to get in kindergarten with a glass of cold milk. Adapted from My Most Favorite Dessert Company.
Top Review by BaaBaa
True to form. A really good vanilla wafer. Again I used a "milk free" butter substitute for my son, and they came out fine. I used lemon extract instead of vanilla (I ran out). I also used a silpat to bake them on with no problem, but don't walk away they go from pale to overdone very fast.
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted margarine, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the margarine together with the sugar on low speed until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.
- Stir in the zests.
- Still on low speed, beat in the flour until fully blended.
- By teaspoonfuls, drop the batter onto the baking sheets, leaving a good two inches between each cookie.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, or until the wafers are lightly browned along the edges.
- Transfer to a cooling rack where they will crisp as they cool.
- Store carefully in layers in an airtight container.