Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 2 (6 ounce) canssolid-pack white tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 12 pimento stuffed olives, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs (2 slices bread)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a standard-size loaf pan with aluminum foil.
- Spray the foil-lined pan with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions.
- Drain it thoroughly and add the butter, stirring until it melts, set aside.
- Combine the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl and beat them lightly.
- Add the onion, tuna, olives and bread crumbs and mix well.
- In a large saucepan combine the milk, salt, dry mustard and horseradish.
- Mix well and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir just until it starts to melt, then pour it into the tuna mixture in the bowl.
- Add the macaroni and mix well.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and, using your hands, press it down firmly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning it over onto a serving dish or cutting board.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the loaf into 8 slices.