Made the old fashioned way, this soup is delicious.
Make and share this Old Fashioned Tomato Cream Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, studded with
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream, heated almost to boiling
- fresh basil leaf, finely chopped,for garnish
- In a large deep saucepan, over a medium heat, cook the tomatoes, onion, beef stock, basil, salt and pepper, nutmeg and coriander for 30 minutes.
- Let cool a little, then remove and discard the cloves from the onion.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth (This may be done in batches).
- Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the baking soda and sugar.
- Blend the flour and butter together to form a smooth paste.
- Stir this into the soup.
- Watching carefully, cook the soup, over a medium-low heat, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly stir in the warmed cream.
- Return the soup to the heat and continue to warm it, just until it is piping hot and about to come to a boil.
- (Don't let it boil or it will curdle and truly disappoint you).
- Serve this soup garnished with fresh basil leaves.
Bravo! This recipe is a winner.