Prep 4 hrs
Cook 8 mins
From Southern Living, 1984. Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- additional sugar
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add buttermilk, beat well.
- Combine flour and soda; gradually stir into creamed mixture.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Chill dough, tightly wrapped, several hours, or overnight.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into rounds with biscuit/cookie cutter.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 400-degrees for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- These may be served plain, but I prefer to make a buttercream and frost them.