These are the cookies from my childhood. The recipe is originally from the Red River Cookbook of Shreveport LA, published in 1953. This makes the perfect sugar cookie dough for cutting out shapes. The dough is relatively easy to work with and does not seem to toughen up with repeated rollings. Best of all, the cookies do not puff up, they retain the shape they were cut into. The cooled cookies are slightly crisp, very thin, and have almost a shortbread texture. The dough will freeze in rolls for slicing or shaping at a later date. The yield will depend on the size of cookie cutter you are using. We normally end up with about 4 pans full of cookies. If you keep to simple shapes, the cookies pack and travel well with minimal breakage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter and sugar.
- 2Add egg.
- 3Sift flour and baking powder together.
- 4Add to first mixture.
- 5Add vanilla.
- 6Roll on floured board to about 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutter. (I use powdered sugar to roll out the cookies, it makes life a bit more fun for my kids). If the dough gets a little hard to work with (on the 2nd or 3rd rolling of "scraps"), form a ball and place it (wrapped) into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to let the dough firm back up.
- 7Decorate with colored sugar and sprinkles if you want to do so before baking.
- 8Bake 7 - 10 minute in oven, preheated to 350 degrees.
- 9Allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing to a cooling rack with a flat metal spatula (pancake turner). Cool completely before decorating with icing.
- 10I've tripled this recipe without any issue. If you scale up, keep most of the dough in the refrigerator and work a reasonable quantity at a time.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Tea Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (743 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3426.3
- Calories from Fat 1729
- Total Fat 192.1 g
- Saturated Fat 118.6 g
- Cholesterol 699.5 mg
- Sodium 1565.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 389.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 151.5 g
- Protein 40.5 g