Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yummy scottish candy
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter (has to be butter)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Melt butter in milk, then stir in condensed milk.
- Mix well.
- Stir in sugar very slowly.
- Boil at medium heat until thick and light brown, stirring all the time.
- This takes about an hour.
- Add vanilla essence and beat until thick.
- Grease baking tray with butter and pour mixture in to set.
- Set in fridge until hard then cut into small pieces.
- This takes lots of patience but is well worth it when it turns out!
As a Scottish girl and a maker of tablet for over 40 years, this recipe will not work! It has to brought the boil once all the sugar has melted, and boiled, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes. It does not need to go anywhere near a fridge to set if it has been boiled for long enough.
I don't want to give a bad review but I followed the instructions and it did not set. It has spent nearly 24 hrs in the fridge and is still soft and inedible. Sorry