1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Cristi Hinten's Note:
Tastes like mom's
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs round steaks
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Season the steaks with pepper.
- 3Place the flour* into a pie plate or shallow dish. Dust the pieces of meat on both sides in the flour mixture. Cover the meat with plastic wrap and pound out the steaks until they are thinner pieces. Then dredge the pounded slices through the flour on both sides once more and set aside.
- 4Add enough of the oil to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.
- 5Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the onions and garlic. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 6Add the ketchup and stir to combine. Next add the tomatoes, paprika, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth and stir to combine.
- 7Return the meat to the pot, submerging it in the liquid.
- 8Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Swiss Steak
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.8
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 142.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 33.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with garlic