Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs top round steaks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- Cut meat into 4 pieces. Pound steak lightly with a meat mallet.
- Mix together flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Coat meat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large pan with a lid. Add meat and cook until well browned; remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms and onions to pan and sauté until golden. Return meat to pan and add tomatoes and broth. Cover pan and simmer gently until meat is very tender, about 1 hour. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
This great tasting Swiss steak, is very easy to make. I used olive oil to fry the steaks in. Then the onions were sauteed in the oil before adding the mushrooms. The gravy is full of flavor. I liked this so much, that I think I'll make it again tomorrow night. Thank you for posting. Made for Please Review My Recipe
I had never ate Swiss steak before so I have nothing to compare this too but this was good and easy to make. I didn't add the flour, I just seasoned with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. I only used 1/2 teaspoon of each of the seasonings. I didn't add the mushrooms as I forgot to buy them at the grocery store and I wasn't running back. I also didn't saute the items in oil, I just sprayed my pan with Pam. We all enjoyed this.