- 2 cups peeled cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 -2 tablespoon Bourbon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 3 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For the filling, using an electric hand mixer, combine the potatoes, 1 cup of the sugar, the butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the milk and continue to mix.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.
- For the meringue, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form;.
- Beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is glossy and stiff, but not dry.
- With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue onto the pie, forming peaks. Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around. Sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.