1/1 Photo of Old Fashioned Sunday Supper (Crock Pot)
9 hrs 20 mins
Remember sitting down to Sunday supper of a platter heaped with potatoes, vegetables and meat - all covered with a rich gravy? This recipe for the crock pot makes an old fashioned Sunday Supper a cinch!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) box onion soup mix (2 envelopes)
- 3 1/2 lbs rump roast, trimmed of fat
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups zinfandel or 1 1/2 cups other fruity red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1Place contents of both of the dry soup mix envelopes in a small baking dish.
- 2Place the roast in the dish and rub or pat the dry soup mix all over it.
- 3Place half each of potatoes, carrots, celery, and garlic in crock pot.
- 4Season with half each of the garlic pepper and thyme.
- 5Tuck the bay leaf into the vegetables.
- 6Mix together 1 cup of the wine and the broth.
- 7Pour into the crock pot.
- 8Add the roast and scrape any dry soup mix left in the baking dish on top.
- 9Cover the meat with the remaining vegetables, garlic, garlic pepper and thyme.
- 10Cover and cook on low 9-10 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 11Remove the meat to a warm serving platter.
- 12Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- 13Scoop out the vegetables with a slotted spoon and scatter them over and around the roast.
- 14Cover with foil to keep warm.
- 15Pour the juices into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil on top of the stove over medium-high heat.
- 16Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup wine and flour until well blended.
- 17Stir into the juices in a the saucepan and cook stirring constantly, until the gravy is thickened and the flour has lost its raw taste, 3-5 minutes.
- 18Pour the gravy over the meat and vegetables and serve.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Sunday Supper (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.2
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 162.6 mg
- Sodium 1560.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 61.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic pepper seasoning