3 hrs 45 mins
this is one of those meals that can be started on Saturday night...and just before church on Sunday, put in oven andoh my, the wonderful smells when you find your home filled with mouth-watering aromas....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless beef rump roast
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled, cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery, corasely chopped
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled, halved
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 small potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1preheat the oven to 325*.
- 2make 9 deep incisions in the meat and insert the garlic pieces.
- 3Heat 1 tbls of oil in a heavy roasting pan; add the meat and brown on all sides over medium heat.
- 4transfer the meat to a plate.
- 5add the remaining tbls of oil to the pan, add the celery, onion, carrots and saute for about 5 minutes.
- 6add the stock, bay leaves green pepper and ketchup.
- 7return the meat to the pan, cover and bring to a boil.
- 8transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours.
- 9move the meat aside and stir in the thyme, salt and pepper.
- 10at this point, the move can be store in the refrigerator until the next day.
- 11place the potatoes on the bottom of the pan and arrange the meat on top.
- 12re-cover, and bake 45 minutes or until the meat and potatoes are tender.
- 13in a small bowl, mash the butter and flour together to form a smooth paste is formed.
- 14transfer the meat to a large heated platter and using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots and potatoes and arrange them around the meat.
- 15discard the bell pepper, bay leaves and celery.
- 16bring the pan juices to a boil over high heat.
- 17then whisk in the butter mixture by tblsspoonfuls.
- 18cook over high heat until the mixture forms a gravy, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 19add hot pepper sauce to taste.].
- 20pour some of the gravy over the meat and pass the remainder with the meat and vegetables at the table.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Sunday Pot Roast With Vegetables and Brown Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 746.7
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 163.2 mg
- Sodium 970.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 52.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef rump roast