Recipe by grandma2969
this is one of those meals that can be started on Saturday night...and just before church on Sunday, put in oven andoh my, the wonderful smells when you find your home filled with mouth-watering aromas....
Top Review by Little Mommy
Yummy! I absolutely LOVED the idea of putting the garlic directly in the meat. My mother used to do this with pork roasts and we'd always fight over who got how many pieces of garlic. I didn't use the hot sauce, but everything else was great!
- 3 lbs boneless beef rump roast
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled, cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery, corasely chopped
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled, halved
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 small potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat the oven to 325*.
- make 9 deep incisions in the meat and insert the garlic pieces.
- Heat 1 tbls of oil in a heavy roasting pan; add the meat and brown on all sides over medium heat.
- transfer the meat to a plate.
- add the remaining tbls of oil to the pan, add the celery, onion, carrots and saute for about 5 minutes.
- add the stock, bay leaves green pepper and ketchup.
- return the meat to the pan, cover and bring to a boil.
- transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours.
- move the meat aside and stir in the thyme, salt and pepper.
- at this point, the move can be store in the refrigerator until the next day.
- place the potatoes on the bottom of the pan and arrange the meat on top.
- re-cover, and bake 45 minutes or until the meat and potatoes are tender.
- in a small bowl, mash the butter and flour together to form a smooth paste is formed.
- transfer the meat to a large heated platter and using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots and potatoes and arrange them around the meat.
- discard the bell pepper, bay leaves and celery.
- bring the pan juices to a boil over high heat.
- then whisk in the butter mixture by tblsspoonfuls.
- cook over high heat until the mixture forms a gravy, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- add hot pepper sauce to taste.].
- pour some of the gravy over the meat and pass the remainder with the meat and vegetables at the table.