Recipe by Mercy
This was my great aunt's recipe. My aunt uses the recipe often and modernized it for today's lifestyle (hence the microwave). Simple ingredients and little effort with down-home results.
Top Review by Angel91805
Oh my! This is so yummy! This brought back memories of childhood for me. I've made this twice now, once in the microwave (VERY fast in mine) and once on the stove. I liked the stove method better. I can't pin it but I think the pie was smoother tasting, if that makes sense! Sprinkled some cinnamon on the top and it was SO yummy. Thanks for the greatest recipe, Mercy!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8 inch pie shell, baked
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a microwavable bowl and stir in the milk.
- Microwave for 9 minutes, stopping to stir every 3 minutes.
- The object is to cook until it achieves a thick, pudding-like consistency, so it may take more or less time dependent upon the individual microwave.
- This can also be performed in a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Add the butter and vanilla into the mixture.
- Pour the thick mixture into the baked 8 inch pie shell and sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Serve at room temperature.