1/1 Photo of Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies
From the book "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder" by Joanne Fluke. I read the book while on vacation this summer & I would like to pass the book on to my swap partner in the Used Media Swap on Zaar. The book has some delicious sounding cookie recipes which I am post here so I can make them later. The author does not indicate the serving size or prep time - I guessed & I apologize if I am wrong. I will correct when I make the recipe. If you make it before me, please post a review so we will know how good they are. One more note - the book was a fun read too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar (do not sift)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (critical, do NOT omit)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/4 cups flour (not sifted)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (in a small bowl, may add colored sugars for holidays)
- 1Do not preheat oven yet - dough must chill before baking.
- 2Melt butter.
- 3Add sugars and mix.
- 4Let cool to room temperature.
- 5Mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- 6Add vanilla, lemon zest, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- 7Mix well.
- 8Add flour in increments, mixing after each addition.
- 9Chill dough for at least one hour (overnight is fine).
- 10When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees, rack in middle of oven.
- 11Use hands to roll dough in walnut-sized balls.
- 12Roll dough balls in a bowl of white sugar.
- 13Place on a greased cookie sheet, 12 to a standard sheet.
- 14Flatten dough balls with a greased spatula.
- 15Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes (They should have a tine of gold on the top).
- 16Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a rack to finish cooling.
- 17Cookies can be decorated with frosting piped from a pastry bag for special occasions - or left just as they are.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.3
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.3 mg
- Sodium 105.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 1.1 g