A favorite with my family! These aren't overly sweet sugar cookies, so they are perfect for frosting. This recipe was originally taken from clabbergirl.com. (Check out the Clabber Girl website - lots of great recipes!)
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until fine.
- Add egg, cream (or evaporated milk), and vanilla.
- Roll out dough evenly on to a lightly floured surface. (I separate my dough into 3 pieces and roll each piece to 1/4 inch thickness.).
- Sprinkle with sugar. (I usually skip this step if I plan to frost the cookies).
- Cut out with cookie cutters and place on an ungreased baking sheet. (The cookies do not really spread much, so about an inch apart is fine.).
- Bake at 400F for 5 - 8 minutes or until edges just start to brown. (In my oven 6 minutes is perfect - the cookie is firm, but not over-cooked and the bottoms are just-browned.).
- Remove to cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.