1/5 Photos of Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake with Sweetened Flavoured Whipped Cream
This is the way my Mom used to make Strawberry shortcake, and I still do. Historically, strawberry shortcake was served when the wild strawberries ripened in the meadows. The shortcake was a rich biscuit dough baked in a round cake pan. This recipe was taken from Mrs. George Treadway's handwritten recipe book, dated 1898 and is now part of the historic collection in the museum at High River, Alberta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 cups strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
Sweetened Flavoured Whipped cream
- 1Sift flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt together.
- 2Work in fat with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Stir in milk gradually.
- 4Place dough on a lightly floured board.
- 5Divide into 2 parts and roll each part to fit a round cake pan.
- 6Place first layer into lightly greased cake tin.
- 7Brush the dough with melted butter, then place second layer over top.
- 8Bake at 400f degrees for 20 minutes.
- 9Reserve approximately 12 choice berries for the top.
- 10Mash the remaining berries slightly, stir in sugar and place sweetened berries beween layers.
- 11Cover the top layer with sweetened flavoured whipped cream and garnish with whole berries.
- 12Note: The biscuit dough may be rolled and cut into round shapes as for tea biscuits, then split into halves for strawberry or peach shortcake.
- 13Sweetened flavoured whipped cream: Beat the cream until thick.
- 14Fold in sugar and vanilla.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake with Sweetened Flavoured Whipped Cream
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.7
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 98.8 mg
- Sodium 504.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 6.8 g