1/1 Photo of Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake with Grand Marnier Cream
Just Call Me Martha's Note:
This is an old fashioned made-from-scratch strawberry shortcake. It's very easy - once you try it, you'll never go back to a mix. The Grand Marnier cream is a nice refreshing touch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2In bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- 3Stir in orange rind.
- 4Cut in butter until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- 5Stir in enough buttermilk (roughly 3/4 cup) until dough clings together.
- 6Place dough on a floured board and knead 4 or 5 times.
- 7Roll or pat into 8" round.
- 8Place on cookie sheet.
- 9Brush with the 1 Tbsp buttermilk and sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar.
- 10Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Cool on rack, then split into two horizontally.
- 12In bowl, mix strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar.
- 13Let sit for 30 minutes.
- 14Just before serving, whip cream along with 2 Tbsp sugar until cream forms stiff peaks.
- 15Fold in sour cream and Grand Marnier.
- 16To serve, spread bottom cake layer with 3/4 of cream mixture.
- 17Top with 3/4 of the strawberries.
- 18Put the second cake layer on top and decorate with the remaining cream and strawberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake with Grand Marnier Cream
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.4
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 88.7 mg
- Sodium 435.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: