This is an old fashioned made-from-scratch strawberry shortcake. It's very easy - once you try it, you'll never go back to a mix. The Grand Marnier cream is a nice refreshing touch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Stir in orange rind.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in enough buttermilk (roughly 3/4 cup) until dough clings together.
- Place dough on a floured board and knead 4 or 5 times.
- Roll or pat into 8" round.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Brush with the 1 Tbsp buttermilk and sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on rack, then split into two horizontally.
- In bowl, mix strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, whip cream along with 2 Tbsp sugar until cream forms stiff peaks.
- Fold in sour cream and Grand Marnier.
- To serve, spread bottom cake layer with 3/4 of cream mixture.
- Top with 3/4 of the strawberries.
- Put the second cake layer on top and decorate with the remaining cream and strawberries.