Recipe by Lori91761
Original recipe came with my mom from Poland in 1912. I only added the allspice and walnuts to the recipe. Recipe won 3 Blue ribbons at the Los Angeles County Fair in 1963-67.
Top Review by Dulcet Kitchen
This is pretty good! I used the full amount of shortening and omitted the raisins as well. The bread is definitely quite moist and has a great texture, however, I was a little disappointed by the faint strawberry flavor. But even considering that, I'll likely be making it again, perhaps with a 1/4 cup more strawberries. Thanks!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup melted shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup raisins, soaked & drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the milk, melted shortening and egg together and add to dry mixture.
- Mix in strawberries, walnuts and drained raisins.
- Pour into a greased 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until tested done.
- Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack, for 1 hour before cutting.