Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
this makes about 1/2 lb..
- line the bottom and sides of a 9x9" square pan -- with aluminum foil -- butter foil and set aside.
- combine sugar, vinegar and corn syrup in a heavy pan --
- stir once over medium heat till sugar dissolves --
- heat until mixture reaches the hard crack stage or 290*-310* on candy thermometer.
- remove from heat, carefully stir in baking soda.mixture will foam quite high --
- pour mixture into prepared pans, set aside at room temperature until firm --
- invert pan to remove candy.
- peel foil off and break candy into small pieces --
- store in an airtight container at room temperature -- .
I found a recipe w/ the same ingredients in a microwave cookbook. It suggests microwaving 7 - 14 minutes, testing the temperature by dropping a small amount in cold water. If the threads you remove from the water are brittle, it's done.
This recipe didn't work for me. It came out very hard. I used a different recipe with much less corn syrup and it turned out excellent. Other things that helped the second time around was to stir in the baking soda very quickly or it will fall. I also set it outside in the cold for a few minutes immediately after pouring so that it would cool faster.