Prep 30 mins
Cook 48 mins
In 'Saved By Soup' by Judith Barrett;
- 2 teaspoons oil (corn, canola, or olive)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups defatted chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth, preferably homemade
- 2 cups cold water
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat; add in the onion, carrots, and celery; cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the split peas, broth, and water; bring to a boil.
- Partially cover pan, decrease heat to med-low, and simmer until the soup is thick, about 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- **You can add fresh herbs; fresh dill is recommended; also can add meat and ham bones to make it richer.
Great soup! I loved how easy this was to throw together and the great taste of the soup. I ended up adding some more water because I needed to cook my soup longer to get the split peas soft. I especially loved the carrots and celery additions. Made for the Football Pool.