Old Fashioned Southern Cornbread
- Grease an 8-inch round or square baking pan (or, for more authenticity, a cast iron skillet). Preheat oven to 425. Place pan in oven to preheat.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl. Add corn oil and use a cutting motion with spoon so that oil will be well blended with other ingredients. Add the boiling water and mix well.
- Add cold milk and stir. Let stand for a few minutes until batter has cooled to room temperature.
- Mix in egg and then baking powder; beat briskly.
- Remove preheated pan from oven and pour in batter. Bake until lightly browned (approx. 20 minutes).