Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
These were our family tradition for Halloween handouts and Christmas cookies.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Cream shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Blend dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternating with cour cream. Measure flour by dip level, pour method or by sifting.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour to make easier to roll out.
- Roll dough out 1/4" thick on well-floured surface.
- Cut with 3-1/2" (9cm) round cookie cutter or other shapes.
- Place on baking sheet. Can sprinkle with colored baking sugar at this point or wait and frost when cookies have cooled down.
- Bake at 350F (175C) for 8-10 minutes.