Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
A classic old fashioned recipe because you cook the apple filling before adding it to the cake. We loved it!
Top Review by woodland hues
Wow, pretty fantastic, elegant too. I'd make a larger quantity of filling as well, which would distribute it more evenly and thickly in the batter. I made my filling the day before and refrigerated till use, just to save time on the day of company. Used pecans which were fine. I'm going to try this with a lighter flour next, as I was blending whole wheat, spelt, and rice flours, and although it turned out really well, it wasn't sumptuous, but 'healthy'...this cake wants and deserves to be decadent.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F; grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or a 10x4-inch tube pan.
- Prepare apple-nut filling: Cook all ingredients, except nuts, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until apples are tender. This will take approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in nuts. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed, 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat well between each addition on low speed.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in the baking pan. Top with 1/3 of the filling. Repeat this pattern 2 more times, until all batter and filling have been used.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turnout onto a serving plate and cool completely.
- To prepare glaze: Mix all ingredients until smooth, then drizzle over cooled coffee cake.