Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This produces smooth, lump free Grits without standing there stirring while they cook. The basis of this dish was Chia's microwave grits. I just redesigned it for Old Fashioned Grits. My thanx for pointing me in the right direction.
- Place grits in a small bowl.
- Cover with water.
- Stir well to allow chaff to float to the surface.
- Slowly pour off water to drain off chaff.
- Repeat, drain well.
- Place cleaned grits in a 2-quart casserole dish with 5 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt;
- mix well.
- DO NOT COVER DISH!
- Place dish in microwave set on high.
- Cook for 15 minute.
- Remove, stir well.
- Repeat previous step.
- Repeat previous step again.
- Stir in butter until melted and grits are smooth and creamy.