1/3 Photos of Old-Fashioned Short Cake With Strawberries
Simple and quick to make,this recipe produces a stunning and elegant two-tier dessert with a minimum of effort. And it is oh so satisfying - somewhere between a homemade cake and a biscuit. It holds up beautifully under the juicy strawberries without becoming grainy, like sponge cake, or overly soggy. The shortnin' part of its name comes from the process of cutting the fat into the flour to make a "short" dough, but this recipe uses butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter two 9" round pans with 1/2 tablespoon butter each.
- 2Combine flour, baking powder, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and nutmeg.
- 3Cut in remaining butter.
- 4Mix together milk and egg yolks in a small bowl.
- 5Stir into dry ingredients with a fork till a soft dough forms.
- 6Pat dough evenly in the two pans (wet fingers, if too sticky).
- 7Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- 8Brush surface of dough with egg whites and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup sugar.
- 9Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Remove from pans to wire racks and let cool completely. (Layers will be thin.).
- 11Arrange on serving plate as cake, cream (whipped with powdered sugar) and strawberries. Repeat the layers to form a beautiful 2 layer shortcake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Short Cake With Strawberries
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.5
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 91.2 mg
- Sodium 372.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 6.1 g