Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This cake smells sooo good. The ginger and spices really give it a nice kick. I'm not a fan of ShooFly pie.. but this cake is a keeper.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup baking molasses
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Mix the flour, spices, salt and sugars, then cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry blender or similar tool until the mixture is the consistency of fine crumbs.
- Set aside 1 cup of the mixture.
- In another bowl, pour the boiling water over the molasses and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in the baking soda.
- When the bubbling subsides, add to the dry ingredients and stir until smoothly blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Give the pan a good thunk to settle contents, and drag a knife a few times through the center of the batter from the outside to the middle to help the cake rise evenly.
- Sprinkle with reserved cup of crumbs.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Good cake,easy to put together. I gave this a four cause I personally think it needs a bit more spice. Thanks for posting. Its a keeper!