Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a really old recipe; your grandmother probably made something like this. The recipe was posted by gaudrey_GA on the TOH website. She warns not to use raw tomatoes since the flavor will not be the same. If you cook them first, then you can use them.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick) or 4 tablespoons margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 slices bread, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook onion in butter just until tender, but not browned. Pour into a bowl with the tomatoes.
- Cut very lightly toasted bread inro small cubes and add. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Pour into greased casserole dish and bake 45 minutes in preheated oven.