A recipe from Darina Allen's book of Traditional Irish Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 head butterbread lettuce
- 4 small scallions or 4 spring onions
- 2 -4 tomatoes, quartered
- 16 slices cucumbers
- 4 sliced pickled beets
- 4 radishes, sliced
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- watercress, to garnish
For the dressing
- 1Hard boil the eggs for the salad and the dressing and then peel when cold.
- 2Meanwhile, wash and dry the lettuce, scallions and watercress.
- 3Next make the dressing.
- 4Cut two of the eggs in half and press the yolks through a sieve into a bowl.
- 5Add the sugar, a pinch of salt and the mustard.
- 6Blend in the vinegar and cream.
- 7Chop the egg whites finely and add some to the sauce.
- 8Keep the rest to scatter over the salad.
- 9Cover the dressing until needed.
- 10To assemble, first arrange a few lettuce leaves on each of the plates.
- 11Scater a few tomatoes and 2 hard boiled egg quarters, a bit of cucumber and a radish on each plate.
- 12Just before serving add a slice of beatroot to each.
- 13Garnish with scallions and watercress.
- 14Scatter the remaining egg white and some chopped parsley over.
- 15Put a tiny bowl of the dressing in the centre of each plate and serve immediately.
- 16Alternatively, serve the dressing from one large pitcher.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Salad With Shanagarry Cream Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.3
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 228.1 mg
- Sodium 108.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: