Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
this recipe is from an old 1902 cookbook..that I found at an estate sale.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate on 100% power for 1 minute. Stir well.
- Continue microwaving on 5-% power, stirring at 30 second intervals.
- Stop microwaving before the chocolate completely melts and let residual heat finish the job.
- (Alternatively, in small heavy saucepan, melt the chcolate over lowest beat, stirring frequently; be very careful not to burn. Immediately remove from heat.let cool to warm.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed; beat together the butter and sugar until well blended lightened. Add the egg, vanilla and salt and beat until well blended and smooth.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in powdered sugar and 1/2 cup of the flour, then the chocolate, until well blended. Beat or stir in remaining 1/2 cup of flour until evenly incorporated.
- Divide dough in half.
- Place each portion between large sheets of wax paper.
- Roll out the portions 1/8" thick, check the underside of the dough and smooth out any wrinkles. Stack the rolled portions( paper still attached) on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until chilled and firm, or freeze.for about 20 minutes to speed chilling.
- Preheat oven to 350*. Grease several baking sheets or coat with nonstick spray.
- Working with one portion at a time and leaving remaining dough chilled, gently peel away, then pat one sheet of waxed paper back into plate.
- Flip the dough over, then peel off and discard the second sheet. using a 2 1/2"-3" fluted round cookie cutter or any shape desired. cut out the cookies(if at any point the dough softens too much to handle, transfer the paper and and cookies to a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm again. using a spatula, transfer cookies to baking sheets, spacing 1 1/4" apart.reroll dough scraps -- sprinkle a few chocolate jimmies over and gently pat into dough.
- bake the cookies one sheet at a time, in middle of oven 6-9 minutes or just barely firm when pressed in centers.Reverse sheets from front to back halfway through baking time.
- Transfer sheet to wire rack and let stand until cookies firm up slightly, 3-4 minutes.Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks, let stand until completely cooled --
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.