Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is an old Rice Pudding receipe I got from my mother, that she got from her mother, who brought it to the U.S. from Czechlosovkia. I think the Nutmeg is the secret ingredient to it's unique flavor.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml steamed rice (I prefer brown rice, you can get brown rice in steamer bags in the freezer department at the store)
- nutmeg, to sprinkle over the top
- Separate the eggs. Putting the egg yolks in a large bowl and the egg whites in a smaller bowl.
- In large bowl mix egg yolks, sugar, milk, salt, and vanilla until well blended. Add steamed rice.
- In small bowl beat egg whites until stiff and stand in peaks.
- . Fold beaten egg whites into egg, milk mixture, pour into 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle top with ground nutmeg.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream or cold from the refridgerator.
More like sticky rice rather than pudding. I followed the directions as indicated. Also noted the other review regarding the top getting over browned; which it did. About half way through the baking, I had a very dark brown top on the pudding, so placed a glass lid over the dish for the rest of the time. I will not use this recipe again.
This was a really good rice pudding, which I selected because I had never before made a rice pudding that separated the egg. White the taste was quite delicious, the top (which was primarily egg white that floated to the top) was completely burned before the rest of the pudding was done. I let it continue to cook and I just removed the scorched top, and the pudding below was fine. I think next time, I will just incorporate the entire egg in Step #2, and skip steps #3 and #4 to avoid a scorched top again. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Lady Fiona 711. Made for Spring 2013 Pick-A-Chef.
Just like grandma used to make. Right near the top of my list of favorite comfort foods. Flavor was perfect and loved the nutmeg. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.