Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
People don't seem to make this dish any more. It is simple to prepare and can be served warm or it is also good cold.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- cinnamon (for topping)
- Mix all ingredients except the rice and lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Mix them well and then add the rice and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top.
- Place in a 8 X 10-inch baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes, or until it is lightly brown and the custard is set.
- Test with a table knife.
- Stick it in the center of the dish, and if it comes out clean the dish is baked.
- This can be served with maple syrup as was done in earlier times or milk will be enjoyed also.
This was very good. I omitted the brandy, because I didn't want that kind of taste to this. I used 4 T butter to make it richer, and whole milk. I also added a cup of raisins.