Recipe by Nana Lee
These are the kind you found at the circus or carnival! Not the newer version covered with cramel. ;) Candy thermometer is needed for this, as well as popsicle sticks. The number of apples needed depends on the size of the apples, probably 4 medium ones. The recipe states that each batch candies approximately 1 dozen medium apples. I'm not sure I trust that. Cook time depends on your altitude where you live, heat of your burner, and pot used. NOTE: See review by Canada Goose for helpful hints! Thanks, CG!
Top Review by Sweets Princess
I'm so grateful that someone appreciates the old like I do. I think you are the only one with this recipe and it's perfect! Thanks again. Making these was so much fun for my fiance and I, messy too! ;)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1st 3 ingredients in saucepan.
- Put on high heat with candy thermometer positioned in center of fluid level.
- While it is boiling, thoroughly wash and dry your apples, and spear with the sticks.
- Boil mixture until reaches hard crack (300ºF), then immediately add red food coloring and stir.
- Quickly immediately dip the apples, twisting to cover, and set on a greased cookie sheet.