Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 9 inch pie shell
- 15 ounces raisins (1 pkg, 3 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant Tang orange drink (Any type of Instant Orange Breakfast Drink will do)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Divide the pastry almost in half and roll out the larger half, on a lightly floured surface, to a 13-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry and trim the pastry 1/2 inch beyond the rim of the pie plate. Combine the raisins, brown sugar, corn starch and drink mix in a 3-quart saucepan.
- Stir in the water and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts.
- Turn the mixture into the pastry-lined pie plate and dot with the butter.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to an 11-inch circle. Place the top crust over filling and trim the edge to 1-inch beyond the rim.
- Fold the top crust under the bottom crust and form a ridge. Flute the edge and cut steam vents in the top crust. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F.
- oven for 30 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
The taste is simply delicious. Very simple recipe, as well.
Thank you! You have brought my childhood back!
Made this recipe as given, except that I was out of tang, but did have some of my Russian Refresher Mix recipe#159755 available so used that instead. It turned out just delicious never the less, and so darned easy to make. Thank You so much for sharing this recipe.