Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This will always remind me of my Grandma, she LOVED pound cake. Especially topped with sweetened strawberries and Cool Whip!
- 1 lb butter (2 cups)
- 1 lb sugar (2 1/4 cups)
- 9 eggs
- 4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cream butter and sugar until very light and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Gradually add cake flour, blending thoroughly. (Use a medium speed for this.).
- Add lemon rind and juice.
- Bake in 2 greased and parchment paper-lined or waxed paper-lined 9x5" pans at 350º for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Frost or glaze, or leave plain.
- *If wanting to make a half a recipe, use 5 eggs.
This is the one and only true recipe for the original pound cake, but I do things just a bit differently. This recipe, as written, tends to yield an unpleasantly dry texture, so on a friend's advice, I now add a cup of whole milk to the batter alternately with the cake flour and bake at 375 for an hour or until it tests done. I also add all the juice and zest from two large lemons. This gives me a cake with a very light, but dense texture and incredibly rich flavor that just begs for a homemade blueberry compote or masserated strawberries and whipped cream. Awesome!
I was looking for a good recipe for pound cake because my mom always made this type of cake when I was a kid. My hubby and I really enjoyed this recipe. The cake was like light and very flavorful.I followed directions as they were written.
I was searching for an old recipe I used when my son was a little boy. We used to babysit my friend's chickens... boy, there were lots of eggs! I sent two loaves to him in Iraq and the other Marines offered money for more tastes! It must ship well! Thank you, so much!