Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This stuffing is a good old fashioned one. You can add or build onto it very simply!
Make and share this Old Fashioned Poultry Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 12 cups small bread cubes (1 whole loaf, from bakery finely sliced will reduce cutting time if you bake your own cubes)
- 1 cup finely chopped leek (1 large leek)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup turkey broth or 1 cup low sodium chicken broth, to moisten
- Note: The turkey broth is approximate, you may use less or more. Test the texture as you add broth for the exact amount. When you squeeze a handful of stuffing it should hold together without being to soggy.
- Saute leeks and celery with butter.
- Then mix in dried cranberries and poultry seasoning.
- Add this mixture to the bread cubes while turkey cooks and mix thru to soften cubes. Mix in turkey broth to moisten to the consistency you like.
- Butter a baking dish well and bake in the oven at 325 for 30 minutes.
- Stir once through the baking process to ensure the bottom does not burn. Keep covered with foil to prevent top from browning except for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- The key to this stuffing is to finely chop everything and use small bread cubes. You may stuff this into a 12-15 lb turkey.