Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A rich and creamy soup that is from a great friend of ours. We could eat this once a week during the winter months and is great reheated.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups potatoes, pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- In a large pot cook 1st four ingredients until potatoes are soft.
- Combine flour and butter and cook over medium-low heat until a smooth paste is formed (approx. 2 minutes) Thicken potato mixture with flour mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Simmer until creamy, at least 30 minutes.
- We enjoy a thicker soup so I double the flour and butter or add a 1/2 of the small cube of velveeta at the final step.
Outstanding!!! I didn't have heavy cream and used half and half and just loved it. Will definitely do this again. (this time with heavy cream) :) Really appreciate your sharing this recipe. Thank you.
This soup is absolutely wonderful! I am SO glad I tried it over 2 years ago. Since then we have made it countless times. My grandmother (who had her own potato soup recipe that she used for 40 some years) asked me for the recipe the first time she tried it and now she makes it more than I do! The only thing we do differently is add egg noodles and most of the time we use canned potatoes because it's quicker and still tastes wonderful. I have tried it before leaving out the butter and flour and it is not nearly as good. This has become a Christmas Eve staple because the whole extended family loves it. I always get the potato soup at restaurants and none compare to this.