Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
This classic potato salad is a family favorite. It is made with plain, honest, good old-fashioned ingredients...Yukon Golds (which hold up well after cooking), hard-boiled eggs, celery, and onions...a dressing made with purchased mayonnaise, ballpark-style mustard, a few splashes of cider vinegar and lemon juice, and the enhanced richness of mashed hard-boiled eggs. I guarantee that everyone will want seconds (I was told that one of my nephews ate a whole bowl at one sitting...WOW!!). This salad can easily be doubled or tripled for those larger crowds.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann's is my favorite. And, please, NOT reduced-fat or nonfat)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (plus more, if needed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ballpark-style yellow mustard (I like French's, NOT Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more, if needed)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground red pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot with 3 quarts of water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil, peel and cut potatoes into 1-inch dice. Add diced potatoes to boiling water and cook about 10 minutes, or until tender (NOT mushy) when pierced with a knife. Remove and drain well in a colander.
- Place potatoes in a large non-reactive bowl (a glass bowl is best), and cool to room temperature. Chop 3 of the hard-boiled eggs and add to the bowl with the chopped celery and onion. Mix well to blend.
- Mash the remaining egg in a small bowl, then add the mayonnaise, 2 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt, and cayenne. Whisk well to blend. Add to the bowl with the potatoes and mix well to combine. Taste and season with a little more salt and lemon juice, if needed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed (Salad can be made 6 hours ahead, bring to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving).
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with the chopped parsley.