Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 6 potatoes, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- Mix all ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- Drop by tablespoon full into a slightly salted boiling water.
- Cover and boil until light and fluffy (approximately 12 minutes).
- Do not lift lid or they will fall and turn out doughy.
The dumplings came out perfect and we so enjoyed them. I used chicken broth to cook them in for added flavor. They turned out great!
My husbands Aunt Dorothy made the best dumpling and gravy. She always used left-over mashed potatoes in hers and I thought they were great. This recipe is as close as I have ever found to hers. They are delicious with pork or beef gravy and in stew. Yummy! Brings back fond memories and as she was a cook that never used a recipe until now we could not fiqure out how to make one of our family favorites. Sandy Zikursh,Mentor,Oh