Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
NOTES: 1. Best served with mashed potatoes. 2. This dish is best cooked a day ahead. Refrigerate and skim off congealed fat. Reheat in a 350F oven for 35 to 40 min.
- 5 -6 lbs first cut briskets of beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 onions, cut into 1/2 inch rings
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices on the diagonal
- 4 medium potatoes, cut and diced (optional)
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 sprig fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Rinse meat under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels. Trim any visible fat, then dust meat with flour.
- In a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add meat and cook
- until browned on underside, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn meat and cook until underside is browned, 5 to 6 minutes longer. Remove to a plate.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Add remaining oil to Dutch oven and stir in onions. Cook until onions begin to soften and color, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer add wine and cook down 4 to 5 minute Pour in tomato juice, stirring and scraping to pick up any bits from bottom. Season with thyme, papnka, and bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return beef to pot and add enough water to cover all ingredients. Bring to a boil and skim any foam that comes to the surface. Cover tightly and cook in the oven until beef is fork-tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Add carrots and potatoes to pot and cook until tender, 30 to 60 minute.
- Remove Dutch oven from the oven and remove cover. If liquid is too thin, remove the beef to a deep serving platter and reduce gravy to thicken slightly. Spoon gravy with onions and carrots around beef and garnish with parsley. Serve meat carved into ¼ inch slices.