Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Jewish Cookery by Leah H. Leonard. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds familiar except for the green pepper.
- 4 lbs beef brisket, can use middle chuck, beef shoulder
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat, knows as schmaltz
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 cups soup stock or 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat a heavy pot and braise the meat until evenly browned on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients in the order listed, cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Slice when tender and serve with gravy from pot.
A wonderful, rich and hearty dish to serve with pride to your family and guests! I left out the bell pepper, placed whole baby carrots around the roast to serve with the sliced onions. My broth was one envelope of onion soup mix, water, 4 ounces of tomato sauce, all the seasoning (cut the salt in half) and one tablespoon of butter instead of the chicken fat. Wow, this is a dish I will serve again and again. Thanks, Carole in Orlando