2 hrs 15 mins
A recipe that just says "home cooking."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 celery rib, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1Sprinkle the roast with 1 tablespoon flour.
- 2In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in half of the butter. Add the water, bouillon, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3Add carrots; cover and simmer 45 to 60 minutes longer or until meat is tender.
- 4Remove meat and carrots to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 5Strain cooking juices; set aside.
- 6In the same Dutch oven, melt remaining butter. Stir in remaining flour; cook and stir until bubbly.
- 7Add 2 cups of the cooking juices and blend until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened; add additional cooking juices until gravy has desired consistency.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.2
- Calories from Fat 504
- Total Fat 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 187.0 mg
- Sodium 640.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 43.2 g