From "Cook's Country by America's Test Kitchen," episode 105, "Autumn Supper." Boston butt is preferred for this long, slow cooking because of the fat content.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 lbs boneless pork shoulder, fat cap trimmed to 1/8-inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaf
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, roughly chopped
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1Tie the roast 3-4 times crosswise, and once lengthwise.
- 2In a bowl, combine garlic, pepper, salt, rosemary, sage and fennel seeds. Rub this mixture well into all surfaces of roast.
- 3Place meat in a roasting pan. Place pan, uncovered, in preheated 300°F oven for about 3 hours.
- 4Add onion to pan around the meat. If there is not much fat in the pan, add the optional oil. Return pan to oven for 3½-4 hours more.
- 5Transfer meat to a dish. Transfer onions to a bowl. Pour drippings into a 2-cup measure. Add water to bring up to 1½ cups. When meat has cooled to room temperature, wrap meat and onions with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight along with drippings.
- 6Remove fat from cold drippings and place in a saucepan with onions, cider, apple jelly and cider vinegar. Bring to a simmer.
- 7Slice cold roast, and layer in baking dish. Pour ½ cup of drippings over pork. Cover dish with foil, and place in a preheated 350°F for 40 minutes until hot.
- 8Bring drippings up to a boil and reduce for 15 minutes until dark, thick and syrupy.
- 9Serve with mashed potatoes on the side. Pour sauce over the meat.
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Pork Roast
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.2
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 161.1 mg
- Sodium 600.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 38.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves