Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is one that my Grandma Lewis would make when she had the ingredients on hand -- because the family lived deep in the mountains of West Virginia a quick trip to the store was not feasible especially during the winters months. My grandma was a terrific cook and never measured ingredients (old school of little bit of this, little bit of that) but it didn't matter because whatever she cooked always tasted good and filled you up! This recipe is one of my dad's favorites and I hope you like it, too!
- 473.19 ml black coffee, strong
- 453.59 g fat pork, fresh ground
- 453.59 g walnuts, chopped
- 453.59 g raisins
- 453.59 g dates, cut up (optional)
- 1 medium orange, peeled (optional)
- 453.59 g candied fruit (optional)
- 946.36 ml brown sugar
- 1656.13 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking soda
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
- 14.79 ml ground nutmeg
- 236.59 ml applesauce
- 236.59 ml citron
- Grease and flour 2 bundt pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put pork and raisins in a large mixing bowl (6qt.+) and pour hot coffee over them; Set aside allowing some time to cool.
- Sift together all measured dry ingredients; Mix in walnuts.
- Stir pork mixture carefully in case the coffee is still hot. Slowly begin to add sifted dry ingredients with walnuts and combine together thoroughly.
- Mix in applesauce and citron.
- Pour into greased and floured bundt pans. Bake for 1-1/2 to two hours or until done.