Recipe by Hey Jude
These are a fun treat and a little different from the usual popcorn balls with the addition of the nuts and coconut.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 16 cups popped corn
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°; place pecans and almonds into a large roasting pan; place coconut into a jelly-roll pan; place pans on 2 oven racks and bake 10-15 minutes or until toasted, rotating pans between upper and lower racks halfway through and stirring occasionally; stir nuts into coconut in the jelly-roll pan and cool completely.
- Line a large cookie sheet with foil; spray lined sheet and the roasting pan the nuts had been in with nonstick cooking spray; place popcorn in the roasting pan; discard any unpopped kernels; sprinkle nut mixture over the popcorn.
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring frequently; reduce heat to medium; boil 5 minutes; remove saucepan from heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda (don't be alarmed when it foams up, it's supposed to); pour hot caramel syrup over popcorn mixture; with 2 forks, toss popcorn mixture while hot, until evenly coated with the caramel.
- Working quickly, scoop up hot popcorn mixture by level cups; place popcorn mounts on prepared sheet; when popcorn mixture is cool enough to handle, coat hands with nonstick cooking spray; shape mounds into balls, pressing lightly so they hold together.
- Cool completely; wrap each ball in plastic wrap and store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week.